mapOur Location
CLICK FOR MAP
mapAdult Sunday School 9am
Worship 10am | Kids for Christ 10am          PH: (810) 639-6925

         On Facebook

History and Description

(Taken from the original document compiled by Duane Sholler)

The Montrose Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1891 under the leadership of Rev. William Hammond the pastor at Burt, Michigan.  There were seven original members.  Rev. C. W. Butler was the pastor from 1893 – 1895. 

The congregation met in the Cook building which was located on the west side of the tracks near the lumber yard.  After about six months they moved to the Dunker building in the same block.  Later services were held in the upstairs of the Flynn building.

In 1892, after two moves, it was decided to build a church to house the growing congregation.  Rev. Hammond retired and Rev. Manley Karr was now pastor.  A lot was purchased at the southwest corner of Hickory and Saginaw Streets from Mr. and Mrs. Gillett and they also donated another lot.  The lot required much clearing, so the timber was made into shingle bolts, heading bolts, and ax handles to be sold to enlarge the building fund.  Mr. Middlebrook, the town’s first hardware merchant and one of the original seven members, was purchasing agent for the project.  This gave the building committee the advantage for any discounts he could get.  The first church built in 1892 is still standing on the corner of Saginaw and Hickory Streets. 

The exact date of dedication of the building is not known, but Rev. Daw, the presiding elder of the Saginaw District, performed the ceremonies assisted by Rev. W, H. Lloyd of Saginaw and Rev. B, Hunter of the Taymouth Presbyterian Church.  The organ was purchased by Charles Gillett.  Windows were stained glass of many colors due to the fact that they were purchased pane by pane in the favorite color of the donor.  The parsonage was in Burt, Michigan and both charges were in the Saginaw District. 

1892-1893

Rev. Marvin Karr officiated at the first wedding.

1893-1895                                                                                                                               

Rev. C. W. Butler was the new pastor.

1895-1897

Rev. J. B. Wallace followed Rev. Butler.  Little is known of Wallace’s ministry.

1897-1900

Rev. Joshua Bacon came to Montrose and the district was changed to the Flint District and part of the New Lothrop circuit with the parsonage in New Lothrop.  Later, Burt became part of the Flint District, so the two charges were reunited and the parsonage was at Montrose. 

In 1899 new church sheds were built.  The membership has increased to 50 and the official board consisted of nine members.

1900-1903

Rev. J. F. Emerick came to Montrose bringing with him grown children.

1903-1905

Rev. E. E. Wooley did not stay through his last year and was replaced by Rev. Myron E. Hoyt.  It was Rev. Hoyt’s first pastorate and being a single man he boarded with the Eastman family instead of living in an unfurnished parsonage.

1905-1909

Rev. C. B. Clark was appointed in September.  During his appointment Mrs. Gertrude (Eastman) Anderson joined the church in 1908.

1909-1915

Rev. Robert R. Pattinson, an Englishman was assigned to the charge.  The young folks loved him.  The young people helped to fill the church to capacity, so it was necessary to build a wing on the church.  It made a kitchen, dining room, which could also be used for extra classrooms for Sunday School. 

At this time the Epworth League, a forerunner of the U.M.Y.F. decided to buy a piano.  They were able to come up with the $350.00 to pay for it.  Rev. Pattinson stayed a record time of six years.  After retiring he came back to Montrose to practice medicine.

1915-1917

Rev. T. W. H. Marshall, a young preacher came with his wife.  After having the Pattinson, the congregation was not as cooperative.  During his time here, Ruth (Jennings) Cook and Fern (McDowell) Johnson became members.

1917-1918

Rev. Joseph Chapman – no information

1918-190

Rev. Philip Shoemaker – no information

1920-1925

Rev. Fred Andrews came and a building bee began to buzz.  He put heart and hand into the project and the result is the present church building.  The old church was sold to the Elks Corners Free Methodist congregation.  The old church there was razed and those old bricks were used in the social hall here.  Mr. Napoleon Whittier donated the land along with many hours of volunteer work.  The congregation worshipped in the social hall from 1921 to 1924.  The social hall became the center for the community.  The school used it for basketball until 1950 when their first school gymnasium was built.  Many community plays and banquets were held in the social hall.

A wedding took place in the social hall on Friday, January 4, 1924.  This was the first wedding to be solemnized on the church premises. 

The sanctuary was dedicated on March 24, 1924 by Bishop Henderson assisted by Dr. E. D. Diamond.  This church was used for many years for Baccalaureate service and graduation exercises.

On October 21, 1924 the school house burned so the church social hall was used for part of the classes until the new building was built. 

1925-1926

Rev. George Tripp came to us from Asbury Church in Flint with musical ability provided by his daughter, Ethel.

1926-1930

Rev. C. W. Brown came with a music ministry.  He helped develop the musical talents of the youth in the community.  His boy’s quartet traveled around and captured first place in the state.  He also organized and trained an orchestra.

1930-1931

Rev. Thomas Pryor came fresh out of Boston Theological Seminary.  He left and eventually retired as Bishop of the Chicago area.

1931-1934

Rev.  Easton Hazard served through the depression.  A “Goodwill Banquet” was suggested and started at $5.00 a couple which would buy a week’s groceries at that time.  Various speakers came throughout the years. 

1934-1937

Rev. N. M. Pritchard, his wife, and daughter, Ruby came.  Mrs. Pritchard taught oil painting in the community while Ruby taught piano. 

1937-1944

Rev. Roy C. Johns he was an athlete who became involved in community activities including baseball and ice skating.  He directed the choir.  Choir practice was held in the parsonage.  Rev. Johns worked with the youth by supporting the Epworth League which became the Methodist Youth Fellowship in 1939.  Also in 1939 three denominations merged to form The Methodist Church, the Methodist Episcopal, Methodist Protestant, and Methodist Episcopal South.  During his ministry on the 19th anniversary of the dedication of the building, the mortgage was burned.  This was also during World War II.  23 joined while Johns was pastor.

1944-1946

Rev. G. McDonald Jones came also worked with the youth.  While in Montrose he and his wife adopted a baby boy.

1946-1947

Rev. Frank Benish stayed for one year due to poor health.

1947-1953

Rev. Dean Parker with his wife and two sons were active with the youth group.

One son was an organist and during their stay a new Worlitzer was purchased.  39 people joined the church during Pastor Parker’s stay.

1953-1956

Rev. Clyde Smith came with his wife and three children, a fourth was born in Montrose.  During his time in Montrose it was decided to renovate the church since no major repairs had been done since World War II.  The hall needed decorating, the sanctuary choir loft was lowered, and a divided chancel with a new pulpit and lectern were installed.  The bell and belfry were removed and chimes were installed on the organ.  The basement was waterproofed and made into classrooms, a nursery, and meeting rooms.  A new entrance was built on the south side as well as two new furnaces installed.  In three years the financial drive to pay off the $39,000 was accomplished.  Montrose also became a one point charge as the Burt church was transferred to the Saginaw district.  12 people joined the church while the Smiths were here.

1956-1957

Rev. Floyd Porter and his family came.  A meeting was held and a vote taken to sell the parsonage and buy or build something more updated.  A new parsonage was purchased at 114 Nanita Dr., Montrose.  15 people joined while the Porters were here.

1957-1967

Rev. Robert Worgess and family were the next residents.  Earl Lawrence became a counselor along with his wife for the Youth Fellowship.  He went on to seminary and is now a minister.  79 people joined while Rev. Worgess was here.  He also married 167 couples while our pastor.

1967-1973

Rev. Dalton Bishop and his son moved into Montrose.  During his ministry here we had the first lay witness mission.  Later Rev. Bishop guided two of our youth to commit themselves to ministry, Daniel Young and Richard Dake.  46 people joined while Dalton Bishop was here.

1973-1981

Rev. Robert C. Watt and family came.  The second lay witness weekend was held.

Also a vote was taken to remodel and update our facility.  A financial drive with a goal of $90,000, but $105,000 was raised.  Services were held in the social hall while the remodeling was being done.  Details of all the remodel work can be obtained in the original history document.  The parsonage also received updates during Rev. Watt’s stay.

1981-1993

Rev. Richard Beemer and family.  During his stay our church acquired 51 lots of the Ruggles properties.  The parsonage on Nanita was sold in order to get a larger residence.  A new parsonage was purchased at 12012 Vienna Road.

1993-1997

Rev. Dr. Dennis Paulson and family came here and it was during his stay that an education wing was added.  Groundbreaking occurred in August of 1995.  Pastor Paulson did not finish out his final year here, so at the end of 1997 Rev. Wayne Thomas filled in as interim pastor. 

1997-2006

Rev. David Collins and family moved into the parsonage.  Toward the end of his stay attendance continued to decline and Pastor Collins was moved.

2006-2012

Rev. Wayne Ferrigan and family arrived.  He was sent to heal our broken spirit.

He passed away in June of 2012 and an interim pastor was sent again.  Retired pastor, Rev. Norm Beckwith and his wife spent one year here from 2012-2013. .  The congregation wanted him to stay longer, but a new pastor was assigned.

2013-2016

Rev. Susan Bennett Stiles

2016-Present

Pastor Hal Phillips

Latest News at Montrose United Methodist

We have a new website!

Please take a moment to thank all the people who have donated their time and enegry to put together our new website. As time goes on there will be more items and featrues of interest added, so check back often.

About Montrose United Methodist

Mission Statement:  Making disciples of Christ for the transformation of the world.

The Montrose Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1891 under the leadership of Rev. William Hammond the pastor at Burt, Michigan.  There were seven original members.  Rev. C. W. Butler was the pastor from 1893 – 1895. 

The congregation met in the Cook building which was located on the west side of the tracks near the lumber yard. 

READ MORE

holy bible